Whether it's through 504 or Special Education services, learners with dyslexia at Winfree Academy receive support from specially trained educators. For information about what to expect if you have a child with dyslexia or suspect your child may have dyslexia, please see the flyers below.
*NOTE: Mandatory dyslexia screening is required in kindergarten and first grade. Winfree Academy does not offer those grade levels and therefore does not test all learners for dyslexia.
- Winfree Academy Charter Schools partners with AIM, LLC. to provide dyslexia support and instruction to our learners. Rafael Scarnati, Bilingual Dyslexia Educator and Dyslexia Coordinator with AIM, presented a Dyslexia Parent Workshop for our families earlier this school year. Rafael provided great information specific to high school aged students and their strengths. Click the following link to view his presentation at your convenience - https://bit.ly/WACSdyslexia.
- Rafael's recommended reading: -
- Our Region Service Center, ESC 10, also has information and resources related to Dyslexia Awareness. https://www.smore.com/7yd2p
- All Winfree students with dyslexia are eligible for BookShare for free. BookShare is the largest online library of digital books/ audiobooks in the US. There are about one million books all for free! If interested and don't already have an account, please fill out this google form so you can be registered. https://bit.ly/WACSBookShare
- Throughout Texas, children with disabilities that prevent them from reading standard print are enjoying the world of reading through the Talking Book Program (TBP). TBP is a FREE service that allows students with a reading disability, like dyslexia, the opportunity to read. TBP offers more than 125,000 titles and 80 plus magazines, all read with human narration. Materials can be downloaded via the Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) Mobile app, on a smartphone or tablet. The program is completely free, with no charges and no overdue fees. For more information, visit www.tsl.texas.gov/tbp/reading_disabilities, send an email to email@example.com or call at 1-800-252-9605. TBP staff will be happy to answer your questions and help you apply for service.