In 2013, 9.4% of Winfree Academy students classified themselves as homeless or without a stable living environment.
Winfree Academy Charter Schools acknowledges the many different issues our students are faced with each day. Unfortunately for some, not having a stable living environment is one of their worries. The Winfree Cares Program helps our students with transportation, snacks during school, clothing, and community resources to help transition to a more permanent home. Students who are homeless may enroll in school without previous school records or proof of residency. We are extremely grateful for our community partnerships and understand it is important that we give back to the communities where our schools reside. Each campus promotes homeless awareness, service learning projects, and student group volunteering within the community.
The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas State Law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:
- in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
- in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing
- in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
- in an abandoned building or car, at a campground, or on the street
- in a temporary foster care or with an adult who in not your parent or legal guardian
- in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat or
- with friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
For more information about services available, please contact Cindy Erdman, Homeless Liaison, at 972-869-3250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.