Helping our Students, Helping our Community
Winfree Academy Charter Schools acknowledges many different issues our students are faced with each day. Unfortunately for some, not having a stable living environment is one of their worries. The TEXSHEP Program helps our students who qualify under the McKinney-Vento Act with transportation, snacks during school, clothing, and community resources to help transition to a more permanent home. Students who are homeless may enroll in school without previous school records or proof of residency. Winfree Academy encountered approximately 360 homeless students during the 2010-2011 school year. We are extremely grateful for our community partnerships and understand it is important that we give back to the communities where our schools reside. Each campus promotes homeless awareness, service learning projects, and student group volunteering within the community. We encourage our students to volunteer in the community and participate in canned food drives, angel trees, making food for the homeless, etc.
The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas State Law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:
- in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
- in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing
- in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
- in an abandoned building or car, at a campground, or on the street
- in a temporary foster care or with an adult who in not your parent or legal guardian
- in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat or
- with friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
If you have any questions or concerns please contact:
WACS Homeless Liaison
972-869-3250 X 113
Winfree Academy makes the difference!